Friday, May 6, 2011

Almost on the road again.

When the thought of getting back on the bike came up, there were a few questions that came up. The biggest questions were probably; Where am I going to come up with the bike? and; What's the bike going to be like? I looked around online and went to some of the Local Bike Shops (including my favorite) and gave it some thought. Now I'm not going to lie to you and say I didn't want the latest and greatest technology. A carbon frame and top of the line carbon components... maybe even the Shimano electric shift stuff (ok, maybe not that new... I can't see how that stuff can really be reliable) But the possibilities were endless. Well the possibilities weren't endless but the dreams were.

But then I got to thinking... Wouldn't it be cool to have a bike that was just like my first racing bike? I liked the idea. And in terms of cost savings (a major factor in getting back on the bike right now) it seemed like a good idea. It would also allow me to be riding a bike with components I'm familiar with. And it would sure be unique as well (another thing I like) at least unique, relative to the bikes running around on training rides today.

But along with the cost savings, and the familiarity... I felt like getting a bike like this, from a nostalgic perspective, would be the right way to go for me. You have to understand... When I first got into Cycling it was at a point where I was just getting old enough to get a drivers license and my own car. I sold my very well preserved (and extensive) Star Wars toy collection that was packed away in the garage. I had plenty enough money to buy my own car, and I was posed with a question. Do I buy my own car, or do I buy the Specialized Allez Epic I have my eye on in the bike shop where I work? The answer was the Allez Epic... and the answer is the same today.

This is as far as I could go with the bike given the lack of
Bottom Bracket tool, Headset wrenches, etc.
So for the last month or so, I have searched Craigslist, and Ebay, and any other bike classified that I can find, looking for a frame here, and some brakes there, a crankset, headset, wheels, and yes... I even dug up some good old fashioned Scott Drop In handlebars like I used to run "back in the day". They were brand new in the box. Some guy I found in Texas had won them in a Criterium back in the 90s, and put them on a shelf, and never even pulled them out of the box. I've collected the things here and there, making sure that as much as I can is period correct Dura Ace (7400 series) and as the parts came in I pieced it together to a point where the rest was going to have to be completed by Gary, at Cycle Masters in Turlock, due to the fact that I lack some of the specialty tools to complete the build.

So, I took it to Gary at Cycle Masters and let him take it from there,
So far so good, in a few days it looks like I'll be back on the road.
And of course... Gary is taking great care of the new (old) machine, everything is running smooth, and in tip top shape. So here I am, about a week or so away from being back in the saddle again. I'm sure my bike will be the topic of some jokes, and if I should show up to a local training ride I'm sure it'll be looked down upon by some. But one thing is for sure... It's definitely "MY bike" and I couldn't be happier with any other... at least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment