Saturday, July 9, 2011

Recipe: Three Bean Soup

So I recently found a recipe that's been a hit around our house. It's a simple Three Bean Soup recipe but I thought I'd share. It's nothing special, or fancy but it's good eatin!

You start by cutting a salt pork into edible bite sized pieces and pan-broil it until acceptably cooked. I then rinse the salt pork of any excess salt that has accumulated. That still keeps some salt for flavor but gets rid of any excess.

Now take 1 can of Kidney Beans, 1 can of Navy Beans, and 1 can of of White beans (I imagine you could substitute Black Beans, Pinto Beans etc but I've found the three I use to be tasty and don't plan to change)

Rinse the beans completely (If you don't, the soup is going to end up pretty salty). After the beans are rinsed throw them in a pot with:

Cooked and rinsed Salt Pork
1 can stewed Tomatoes (there are different flavors of stewed tomatoes you can use, I've used the Plain, Garlic seasoned, and Jalapeno Flavored, it's all a matter of taste)
1 Tablespoon minced Garlic
1 Onion chopped in medium sized pieces.
1 cup Chicken Broth

Then you cook it all up over medium heat. Once it starts to boil, let it cook for approx. 25 minutes (or until Onions are tender) and then let it stand a few minutes to thicken up and Viola! Crack open a Bud Light and enjoy an easy meal.

You can add pepper if desired. This feeds (in real life) 3 people. You can just double the recipe to make more (or triple it, or quadruple it... it's really good stuff!)


No comments:

Post a Comment